Thursday, December 29, 2016

The All American-Super-Championship-Series.

             I’m not much of a sports fan and I don’t have any teams that I regularly follow or root for. I know this is in part because my father was an immigrant who wasn’t into American sports and he also wasn’t very athletic. I remember once as a kid seeing him kick around a soccer ball and yes I mean once, that was it.

            In school I was never encouraged (or discouraged) to play sports. I went to a very small Junior & High School where there were hardly enough willing students to even make up a team. Our basket ball teams were a joke and our soccer team was co-ed. I did play for a couple of years but like my father I also wasn’t very athletic and didn’t see the fun in loosing or practicing or being yelled at by the coach.

            Eventually in High School my friends and I took up smoking, both cigarettes and pot so any thoughts of physically running around literally went up in smoke. About the most athletic thing we did was pass a joint, oh and occasionally toss around a Frisbee.

            In my early 20’s I started working for a friend’s family business and most of his family were University of Michigan alumni. The sales manager had been a kicker on the U of M football team and they were all huge fans. The company had season tickets on the 50 yard line and access to a parking lot a half block from the stadium so I got to go to a few games a year. It was fun, on crisp fall Saturday afternoons we would wear our Maze & Blue hats and jackets, bring food & drinks for tailgating and then join over 100 thousand people in the stadium to watch Michigan Football.

            When you’re surrounded by 100,000 excited fans it hard not to get caught up in the excitement as well. So yes, I cheered, yelled, booed, sang “Hail to the Victors” and even did the wave. It was fun and I was happy when “our team” won and disappointed, even a little sad when they lost. But unlike the diehard fans around me, winning or losing didn’t make or break my day, week, year, or life. It was just a game of which I had absolutely no control over no matter how much I yelled and cheered. It was a few hours of emotion filled entertainment, then on with real life.

            Other than the fact that Michigan just lost to “our” arch rivals Ohio State in an exciting double overtime game, why am I writing about sports? Because watching that game and thinking about the competition between teams from different schools, cities, and states that is such a part of American life made me realize that we just witnessed one of the greatest spectacles of our lives.

            Let’s call it “The All American-Super-Championship-Series”, that event so big we can only handle it every 4 years, the event that should be called “The Running of the Bullshit”, that national competition for the presidency of these here United States of America. Oh, and don’t forget the winner also get to be the “unelected” symbolic Leader of the Free World.

            That’s right, the election we just had was just a big friggin game. First we had all the players jockeying for position, then we had a year of playoffs where we picked the champions of the red team and blue team. The champs picked their co-captains and then we were off and running. They faced off in debates, gave speeches and rallied the faithful around the country. The pundits, commentators, and pollsters (as well as our friends on Facebook) told us who was winning or losing and why.

            Then on the final day of play, we the fans got to vote for our favorite team or maybe just vote against the other team. I say team because the reality is that many of us would rather have had someone else leading our team but we lost those preliminary games months ago. We watched the results come in and it was a nail biter. In the end, for one side it felt like an upset loose, for the other it felt like justice and vindication. For me it was just relief that the game was finally over.


So just like after one of those big emotional games in Ann Arbor, the next morning I got up made my coffee and went about life as usual, comforted in the thought that no matter win or lose there was a new season and a whole new ball game just around the corner, oh joy.

To view the column in it's original form go to page 17 of the following link. Winters Express 12/29/16

No comments:

Post a Comment