Thursday, November 17, 2016

On Death, Driving, & the Digital Age.

             Today (as I write this) is the 14th anniversary of my father’s death and it gives me one more reason to think about death. I don’t know what it is about me but I don’t think a day goes by that I don’t for one reason or another reflect on my own mortality. Sometimes I wonder if it has to do with my lack of religious belief. I don’t believe in heaven, hell, or an afterlife so I know that this is it, my one shot, my only life. I also know firsthand that life can be cut short with one sister dying at one month of age and another at 15 years old.

            You would think that with that attitude and experience I would be one to live life to the fullest. Unfortunately you would be wrong because I just live life on cruise control and at this point I’m closer to the end of the road than the beginning. Don’t get me wrong, it isn’t and hasn’t been a bad or too bumpy of a ride but on the other hand it hasn’t been all that great either. Sometimes it feels like I’m spinning my wheels, driving in circles, stuck in a rut, or just plain not getting very far. Other times I wonder how did I get here so fast and who the hell was driving?

            To continue with the driving metaphor, my life’s always been like bumper cars, go until you hit an obstacle then just head off in another direction until you bump again. That’s been the dance of my life, cruise – bump – turn –cruise – bump – turn, over and over. What I never thought about while cruising down the road was that some cars come equipped with GPS. All you have to do is enter a destination and follow it until you get there, yea right, life is that simple.

            My problem is that I’ve always known that the final destination is just that, and I’m in no hurry to get there so I’ve just been taking a leisurely drive, sometimes taking the high road other times the low road. Nowadays that drive also includes the “Digital Highway” so let’s explore that road a little as well.

 Recently a good friend of mine’s older sister whom I’d known since I was a teenager died of cancer. She was a wonderful person and even though I hadn’t seen her in years I kept up on her with Facebook. Last year when she was diagnosed with cancer she posted it on Facebook and continued to post about her treatments and how she was feeling. This spring she posted that she had decided to stop treatments and just wanted to enjoy her family and friends in the time she had left. On August 20th her brothers posted on Facebook that Mary had peacefully passed away and that’s how I learned about it.

That whole experience seemed kind of weird to me because traditionally death and dying has been mostly a private thing for the family and close friends. Now with the advent of social media it has become much more public. I’m not just talking about a natural death like Mary’s but also all the crazy police shootings posted from cell phones, the child refugee drowning, the collateral damage from bombings in war zones, and even the terrorist beheading videos. It feels like its nonstop death 24/7, no wonder I’m always thinking about it.

Another weird thing about death and social media is what does or doesn’t happen after you die. Since I started on Facebook in 2009 I’ve had four of my facebook friends die. Two of them still have profiles up, one of which reminded me to wish her a happy birthday this year even though she died 2 years ago. The other 2 have disappeared as if they never existed which is also kind of strange, in the conversations archives they are just labeled as a faceless “facebook user”.

          One of the things I wonder about when I’m pondering my mortality is my legacy or maybe lack thereof.  I never had any children so there won’t be any kind of genetic line carried on but what I do have is all these columns I’ve written for the Winters Express. Since I’ve posted all of them to the internet they should “live on” forever or at least until someone or something pulls the plug.

To view the column in it's original form go to page 17 of the following link. Winters Express 11/17/16

No comments:

Post a Comment