Thursday, September 10, 2015

Taking one for the team is good for the community

I’ve never really been one for team sports, that’s probably why I like playing racquet ball, chess, and poker where it’s just me against them. Most of my life (even the one year on the high school soccer team) I never felt like I fit in or was part of a team, family, or community. Growing up my family was fairly dysfunctional so we weren’t that close and definitely didn’t work well as a unit. Most of my past jobs I either worked for a strong boss or I was the boss, not the best formula for building a team. Living most of my life in a community (Flint, MI) that was in social and financial decline also didn’t create much sense of camaraderie.

But some of that changed when we moved to Winters. I started to feel what it was like to be part of a community. The very first experience I had here in Winters was when we were trying to buy our house. It was for sale by owner and that owner was the (for lack of a better word) eccentric Bruce Goulden. Diane and I had come to look at the house for the first time with check book in hand but Bruce was in no hurry. He was still fixing it up and had some other people that were interested in it as well.
            
            It wasn’t that he was trying to start a bidding war; he really didn’t care about a few thousand dollars. He wanted to know who would best fit in the community. I on the other hand just really wanted this house. I felt it the second we walked in, it felt like home (still does just a little noisier). So I wrote Bruce a letter telling him how much we wanted the house and that if he sold it to us we would give back to the community (weren’t really sure how). After a week or so he told us that we could have the house so we jumped on it.

            We started to get to know our neighbors and they introduced us to their friends who introduced us to their friends and we quickly started to feel like part of the community. Bruce took us to one of the Winters Express Friday the 13th parties and introduced us around and so it went for the first few years.

Things were also starting to change around Winters, The Palms came to town, Dan Martinez started making wine in the back of a building on Main Street, the Participation Art Gallery was open, and there were plans to rehab an old modular building that had been moved downtown.

It’s that rehab project that got my attention; I thought it would be a great location for someone (other than me) to open a coffee bar. But long story short, two years later Steady Eddy’s Coffee House was born and that’s where my contribution to the community comes in. It may not be what you think because creating a business that’s still going is not what I’m talking about.

I’m trying to bring this back full circle to the team player thing. More importantly I’m talking about sacrificing for the team because that’s the reality of what happened. If we think of Winters as being the team then Steady Eddy’s is now a successful part of it. They are poised to have a good long run but that’s not how it was in the beginning. The truth is that the first four years were rough (as most start ups are) and Diane and I were almost bankrupted. I’m talking physical, emotional, spiritual, as well as financial bankruptcy. To use that sports analogy we “took one for the team”.

That being said, I love that Steady Eddy’s is part of the community but would I do it again? Maybe not, but probably yes because as much as I hate to admit it I’ve kind of become a bit of a team player. At work I’m not the boss but I feel that I make a contribution to the Turkovich Team. At home I do my share of the cooking, cleaning, and cat care. In the neighborhood I’m working with the City to come up with a compromise solution to the noise and parking problems. In the community I applied for a seat on the planning commission (I didn’t get it) and am watching all the planned growth with an optimist eye.

         I guess what I’m saying is that even though the sacrifice can hurt your personal stats it’s necessary for the good of the team and I’m OK with that. So GOOOO WINTERS.

To view the column in it's original form go to page 15 of the following link. Winters Express 9/10/15

No comments:

Post a Comment