Thursday, January 4, 2018

Ice, Ice, Baby

            The New Year is here and for many people it’s a time for reflecting on the past and planning for the future. If you’re a regular reader of my columns then you probably already know that I’m not one of those people. I should probably clarify; I do reflect and think about the past (way to much) it’s the planning for the future that I’ve never really been into.

             I gave up making New Year’s resolutions ages ago when I figured out that if I couldn’t or wouldn’t change my ways during the past year why would I make any more effort to change starting on any given January 1st. I know me, and I don’t see any point in kidding myself or those around me. That’s not to say that I haven’t given up some bad habits or changed my ways, just not as a New Year’s resolution.

            Christmas and New Years are so close together that they get lumped together into the “holiday season” and it’s too bad because I really dislike the beginning but I’m always happy to see the end. One of the things I like about New Years is that it’s the only holiday that’s non-religious (if you don’t count the Gregorian calendar aspect) and non-political.

            Thinking back as a kid, New Years was always exciting because my parents liked to throw New Years Eve parties and they would let me help do stuff like peel the shrimp. Then they would let me stay up until midnight if I could keep my eyes open and see everyone ringing in the New Year.

            As a teenager New Years was just another excuse to party since my friends and I stayed up past midnight almost every weekend anyway. I don’t remember any specific New Years parties that stood out, I just know we partied like there was no tomorrow.

            Considering that I’ve lived through 60 New Years, none have really left much of an impression other than the one I’m going to tell you about now. Oh, and impression may be over hyping it.

            When I was in my mid-twenties and already living with Diane, for 2 or 3 years in a row we celebrated New Years Eve with an old friend of mine and his wife at their house down by Detroit. It was such a low key get together that we jokingly called ourselves “The Boremores” as in boring. We played board games, ate, drank, waited until midnight then made the hour drive home.

            So you’re probably wondering why this is memorable. Well the party wasn’t but the drive home sure was. First let me explain; I used to be one of those guy that If I said I was going to be somewhere at a certain time then you could set your watch by it because nothing was going to stop me. And if it was a social commitment, for sure don’t get in my way.

            Anyway, that particular New Years Eve the weathermen were predicting freezing rain and we probably should have stayed home, but damn it I committed to a party so we were going.

Sure enough just after midnight, as we were leaving, the rain started and at the same time the temperature started to drop. I had the wipers and defrost going full blast to keep the rain from freezing on the windshield. Even though the salt trucks were out the freeways were still treacherous and the drive home was what we Midwesterners call “white knuckle driving” because you’re holding onto the steering wheel so tight.

After a couple of hours crawling down the freeway we made it home without any mishaps and collapsed into bed wondering about what a way to start the new year. Was it an omen for what lay ahead? We weren’t sure but we were definitely a little freaked out as we finally drifted off to sleep.

That morning, New Years day we woke to an almost unbearable brightness coming in through the bedroom window (and it wasn’t from being hung-over). Our bedroom was on the second floor and looked out over a park that was across the street, as I got up and looked out the window it was one of the most amazing, dare I say even magical sights I have ever seen. The storm from the night before had past and the sun was shining down on all the trees covered in a layer of crystal clear, shimmering ice.


It was one of the most beautiful and memorable things I’ve ever seen and reminds me that sometimes you just have to sit back and let nature say HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!

To view the column in it's original form go to page 12 of the following link. Winters Express 1/4/18

No comments:

Post a Comment