Thursday, September 29, 2016

Marriage of ag,tourism makes Winters great place

            I’ve been reading with great interest the articles about the land use argument going on north of town and it got me thinking about what it means to be a “city slicker” living in a farm town.

I guess I’ll start with a little background on myself and what little I really know about farming. Until moving to Winters 15 years ago I had never lived anywhere that didn’t have a population of at least a couple hundred thousand people. Anytime I went to the grocery store there was food available, fresh, frozen, and processed.

            In the early 90’s Diane and I had a café at the Flint Farmers Market in Michigan. We got to know and see how hard the farmers worked just to make a few bucks. They would spend all week tending the fields’ then before dawn load up their trucks and head into town, some of them driving from a few hours away. If their produce didn’t sell then back in the truck it went along with any chance of a profit.

            When we moved to Winters we didn’t realize how much of an agricultural community this was. We thought it was just a small town, kind of a suburb of Vacaville. We moved here in June and that first September my sister in-law who lived in Vacaville got tickets for a fund raising event called “A day in the country” put on by the Yolo Land Trust. If I remember correctly it was out at the Hamilton’s property off of Moody Slough Rd. and we had to drive out these little country roads to get there.

            When we got there I was awe struck by the abundance of fruits and produce that were being showcased. They were grilling meat and there were wineries pouring wine, I remember Heringer Vineyards was sampling their first vintage of Petite Sirah out of a small barrel because it hadn’t been bottled yet and it was so good. I couldn’t believe that all this came from right around where we now lived. That’s when I truly realized that we did indeed live in a farming town even though all the orchards I’d been driving past should have been a clue.

            After that I started to appreciate the guys driving past my house with their farm equipment heading down to the orchards at the end of Russell Street. The ones wearing the white hazmat suits and towing the big blower tubes are kind of scary but hey, they were here first.

            One of the funniest stories I have about my ignorance happened shortly after we opened the coffee house. Early one morning around 6:30 we started hearing and seeing a helicopter flying low over the creek. My first inclination was to assume it was the police looking for a criminal. I started asking the few customers coming in if they knew what was going on and everyone was as bewildered as I was. Then Tom Duncan comes in and looks at me like I’m an idiot (his usual look) and tells me that they’re just spraying the walnuts across the creek.

            Having the coffee house gave me the opportunity to get to know some of the local farmers and ranchers, primarily the younger generation since the old timers didn’t want to leave the round table at the café.

Now I work for a farming family and that’s given me more insight into their business and yes, it is a business. The days of subsistence farming here in America is long past even though we love our gardens and our chickens too.

My point is that even though I’m an outsider living in a farming community, I accept the commercial agriculture going on around me and everything (good & bad) that goes with it. I also see the other side of the coin where the farmers have to put up with the additional traffic to get their equipment through town or no parking at the hardware store. The cost of housing for laborers keeps going up because more of us want to live here and I’m sure so many other things I haven’t a clue about have changed for them as well.

But living in a community is all about trying to get along and making compromises even though sometimes we are on opposite sides of the debate. For me what makes Winters a wonderful place to live is that marriage of agriculture and tourism. The history, work ethic, and delicious bounty that comes from our farmers and the restaurants, wineries, and places of beauty that draws the tourists.

           Sounds like a marriage made in heaven, so really, what are we arguing about?

To view the column in it's original form go to page 15 of the following link. Winters Express 9/29/16

No comments:

Post a Comment