Thursday, April 21, 2016

Really missing my best friend Al these days.

            I’ve been thinking recently about an old friend of mine, Al. I haven’t seen or talked to him for about 15 years. It’s not that we lost touch; it’s that Al felt he needed to cut me out of his life. What did I do that was so bad? Nothing, I’m just a “trigger” from his past and our years of substance abuse together.

            Al was the first person I ever got high and drunk with and he was my best friend through High School. I started smoking pot when I was 15 and pretty much didn’t stop until quitting cold turkey when I was 28. Al on the other hand kept going and not just pot, he loved alcohol.

            When I first meet Al in 1970 at the start of 8th grade he was on crutches because of hip surgery to fix problems from a 6 inch growing spurt the previous year. Even on crutches he was a better basketball player then I could ever be. We were different in most ways, he was tall and thin, I was squat and husky, he was outgoing and I was introverted, he was athletic, I was not. We had different tastes in music, I was still into the Beatles and he loved Motown.

            Our upbringing and family lives were also very different. Al was born and raised in Flint; I had lived in 5 different states and 2 different countries. His family went to Church regularly, my parents didn’t believe in God. He had a close extended family with his grandparents living just 2 houses down from his. My closest relatives were 3000 miles away and in the previous 10 years my grandparents had only visited from Argentina twice.

            I guess the biggest difference was that Al was fearless and I was afraid of just about everything. I still remember the first time I saw him get drunk. We were at a schoolmates Bar Mitzvah reception and there was a table filled with glasses of sweet Kosher Wine. When no adults were looking Al just started pounding them, probably 4 glasses in a couple of minutes.

            Within a couple of years we started smoking cigarettes and pot. When I got my drivers permit at 15, Al who already had his license and a car would let me drive around the neighborhood while we smoked joints and listened to music on the radio.

            That kind of sums up our life in “high” school, just spinning our wheels looking for the next buzz. We experimented with lots of different drugs but still managed to survive and graduate. Because we didn’t enjoy school or studying, neither Al nor I really thought too much about going to college. Al got a “summer” job at a General Motors factory and I already had a job (driving around smoking pot) as a currier for a medical laboratory.

            A year after graduation I decided to go off and try my hand at selling meat (see my column archives for that story) and Al just stayed a “shop rat”.

            After a couple of years on the road I returned to Flint where I bummed around for a while but eventually I got a real job where I stayed for the next eleven years. I also settled down, got in a relationship then married, bought a house, and quit smoking pot for good.

            Al and I still hung out but not as much since we did have “adult” lives now. Al had a few relationships but never got too serious, in part because his substance abuse got in the way.

When I last saw Al he was still trying to kick his habits. He had been on and off again with counseling and AA. He was also talking about getting married but I don’t know if he did.

So that’s a little of the story about me and my best friend. Obviously there is so much more to the story of our 30 year friendship. What I didn’t mention until now because I didn’t want to prejudice your feelings about us, is that Al is black.

Now my question to all of you is honestly, what was the mental image you had while you were reading the column? I’m sure it wasn’t of a younger me smoking a joint with a black dude. Does knowing the color of his skin now change your image, attitude, or empathy for Al? Should it make a difference?

           Of course it shouldn’t make a difference, unfortunately for too many people the reality is that it does. That reality is what I will explore in my next column.

To view the column in it's original form go to page 17 of the following link. Winters Express 4/21/16

No comments:

Post a Comment