Thursday, May 14, 2015

A sporting evolution of the mind.

            Yesterday (Saturday May 2nd) was this huge spectator sports day. First there was the 141st  running of the Kentucky Derby . Weeks of hype, a bunch of goofy hats, and millions of dollars spent for what? A race that lasted 2 minutes and 3 seconds or I guess you could just say “wham bam, thank you ma’am”.

            I don’t understand this human obsession with competition.  Why would millions of people around the globe, most of whom have no financial interest in the horses spend their time on this? I can understand and even relate a little to having a social interest in a competition, our local, city, state, or country team verses their equivalent. But a bunch of horses owned by moneyed elites running a little over a mile and for what? Just to show that on this day, that horse, ridden by some little guy, was faster than the others.

             So what? Don’t we have better things to do with our time? I guess not because the Kentucky Derby was just the warm up act for the real competition of the day. I’m talking about the super hyped, obscene amount of money making, barbaric competition that was the Mayweather vs Pacquiao boxing match.

            I use the term boxing match somewhat sarcastically because it’s really just a fight. Two grown men trying to knock each other out using just their lightly covered fists and doing it for the viewing pleasure of millions of people who paid money to watch.

            This is the part I don’t get. How or why do so many people get pleasure out of someone hurting someone else? I know it’s been justified for years as a “physical competition” but in truth it’s barbaric. I’m not just talking about the definition as savage and brutal but more of the definition as primitive. The only way it could be more barbaric is if we let them kick each other as well, oh right that’s the MMA. What if we gave them each a knife and had them fight to the death, wouldn’t that be entertaining?

            But I guess in terms of human evolution it really hasn’t been that long since the old gladiator days when people were forced to fight to the death as a form of entertainment. Even though many of us have evolved psychologically to where we know that things like boxing are wrong our primal selves haven’t kept up with that evolution. But so as not to come off looking like I think I’m better than the next person let me explain my own personal evolution on boxing.

I grew up in the late 60’s and early 70’s, these were the glory days of Muhammad Ali when he was fighting (boxing) the likes of Joe Frazier and George Forman. Like any other red blooded American kid I wished that I had the ability to “float like a butterfly, sting like a bee”. I thought he was the greatest, just like he said. I also didn’t give boxing a second thought when it came to right or wrong, it was just a sport like any other and I watched it on TV along with everyone else.

But that all changed shortly after I graduated High School. A friend invited me to go watch the live “Golden Gloves” competition at a local arena. For those of you that don’t know about the golden gloves competitions, it is amateur boxing starting at 10 years of age. That’s right 10 year olds being taught to fight for the entertainment of adults.  I can say with certainty that it was at that event that my thoughts and feeling about boxing evolved. But once again it’s not what you might think, it wasn’t that I had a real problem with the kids fighting it was the reaction of the crowd that sickened me.

Mothers, Fathers, friends and relatives, as well as total strangers yelling at these little kids. Hit him, kill him, don’t be a chicken, all that kind of crap. It literally made me want to puke so I got up and left and haven’t watched a boxing match since.

I can appreciate and admire the boxer for their skill and dedication to the training that’s needed to become good at something. The problem I have is with us, the spectator. Because as long as we still view fighting as entertainment we will never evolve as a species and isn’t the goal to evolve for the better? Let’s stop glorifying violence and maybe over time humans will become less violent. Let’s stop promoting competition and start promoting cooperation, that’s how we can evolve.

To view the column in it's original form go to page 4 of the following link.Winters Express 5/14/15

No comments:

Post a Comment